Monday, December 12, 2005

The Field Becomes Foggy.

Just when I thought this was getting easier, I found some disturbing information about my favorite HDTVs. The HP's maximum VGA input resolution is only 1280x1024, rather than the native 1920x1080. On the other hand, I was able to confirm that it can not only receive a full 1080p signal from the HDMI inputs, but the Component inputs as well. This takes the HP down a notch, as I had hoped that I could use the VGA input with an HTPC. All is not lost as there are also folks who have gotten various video cards to display 1920x1080 on the HP via DVI. I'm trying to stay away from reliance on DVI as I have been led to understand that DVI's resolving of color definition leaves something to be desired compared to HDMI, Component, or even VGA.

To make matters worse, I found that the Toshiba 56MX195's VGA input will not accept an input signal beyond 1024x768! Admitedly, this is not much worse than what the HP set can display from it's own VGA input, but what a disapointment on both sides!! I had been considering "stretching" to buy the 56MX195 for it's VGA input, and network connectivity compared to the "basic" features of the 56HM195. Now I hardly think it is worth considering at all. The Samsung sets are slowly creeping up on me again. I'm sure there has to be a way to disable the "Image Enhancement" features on those TVs. I have resolved to find the person who has found it (rather than being that particular guinea pig myself).

While the HP MD5880n has almost everything I want in my next television purchase, I'm putting it on the "Too Large for My Living Room" list. If the dang thing didn't hang out so far on either side of the screen, there would hardly be any question. As it is, it's too wide. I need to fit the stand for this TV (which needs to be more useful and taller, not to mention cheaper, than the one designed for it) and the subwoofer beside it to fit in within the confines of a 73-inch wallspace. When the TV is already over 60 inches wide, that doesn't leave much room to spare. HP, I'm sorry. I really wanted this to work out. $3200 is a really nice price, but I don't think that's gonna be enough.

So I've got most of the pertinent information about displaying native-resolution images down. Next I'll try my hand at the TV Audio version of "Where's Waldo" so we can figure out which audio sources can get to into each set and how it leaves (if at all) from the digital audio output so my Pioneer VSX-815s can make my ears happy. Dig?

I just need to say one thing more: If you think you found the big ticket item you need to make your dreams come true at BestBuy, Circuit City, or any other big-name retailer with twin-initials, you need to thank them for helping you find it, then go somewhere else to purchase it. I've got friends and relatives who have made big purchases from them, and I feel sick knowing that they could have gotten either better quality for the same money, or paid MUCH less for the same quality. If you need advice, let me point you in the right direction. I'm not saying I have the advice, I'm saying I am good at finding advice, and I want to help. I'm a cheap bastard, but I admire quality and demand functionality. I also know that everyone trying to make these same decisions will feel better about their purchase if they can take a more interactive approach to it and learn what features are available so they can still feel proud of their purchase 3 years later rather than wondering why they couldn't have found out about the snazzy gadget their friend got 3 months later.
My surprise today? LED backlights for LCD panels. This appeared much more quickly than I had anticipated. Sony is already showing off laptops featuring this technology. Granted, it still has a few drawbacks in this early implementation, but wait another half year or so, and you will be amazed by the wonderful change that the LCD display industry will be taking. Displays will get Thinner, use less power, and I predict that they will continue to drop in price (how else will you get the new ones to sell?). To put it simply, current LCDs are color-handicapped because the backlighting is not pure white. This is bad because the panel must compensate for it's lopsided backlight before caring about what color it is supposed to be displaying, losing color accuracy in the process. They are also less than efficient when it comes to power consumption because of the power wasted in producing a high-voltage source to power the backlight. LED backlighting fixes these shortcomings, and makes the world a better place for it. Why is it it that I'm not going to wait for it? Two many little things to go wrong can screw up that picture on a big TV for my taste as I see it. I can handle a computer monitor, and hopefully we can find something like that for my wife fairly soon, but not the family TV yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment