Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Facebook: Initial Pros & Cons

I just started auditioning Facebook this last weekend, and while I like the simple elegance of the interface's layout, I haven't completely bought in to what it can do for me. Allison has jumped in wholeheartedly, so I am relying on her enthusiasm to carry me forward. She's been enjoying Twitter for it's social uses, but wished that she could use it for uploading pictures as well, so Facebook answers that need nicely. There are many other social networking comforts she is able to soothe with it as well.

I have a different usage model in mind, I guess. I would rather use Facebook as a way to let my friends and family access the other content I already have online. My phone has Blogger support built in, so I use that to post a few pictures. If I want to post more, I have Picasa web albums for that as well. I want to keep each of my blogs active, and have updates appear on Facebook. Except for the occasional game or movie question, I want to make my Facebook persona into something where I can set it and forget it, and not have to worry about the information becoming stale.

Cons:
  • Some Apps that I'm interested in are not quite functional.
  • Adding multiple news feeds is problematic at best.

Pros:
  • It is almost impossible to make your page painful to look at. It can be cluttered, but not ugly.
  • Playing games with your friends is simple to do, and fun.
I'm optimistic, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I've been hesitant to join such social networks in the past, but I'm willing to give it a go now.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

  1. Welcome. I would like to present you with your ceremonial robes and your first glass of Kool-Aid. Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kool Aid? Jumm!! Thanks for helping to make me feel at home. I've found a few more handy apps to make it a little more complete. I feel like it could be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete