Wednesday, June 04, 2008

New Computer Diggs For Me!!

Hooray for me!!! I found a "new" monitor for sale and snatched it up. It is a Samsung 21.6" wide screen LCD, and it works pretty nicely. OfficeMax wanted to get rid of their floor model, so I volunteered to help them out. Allison says she is jealous, but she should remember that her screen is actually taller than mine, and that games are a bitch to get running at strange resolutions like 1680x1050, so she's better off by adding a second monitor later on instead.

One day later, I have my desktop computer up and running again. Just like Allison's, it sits me next to a front window in our house. Unlike Allison's, I get to see our cars and more of the street (and it is closer to a bathroom, with a shower even). The challenging part in all this is that I'm now in yet another corner of the house not serviced by our Ethernet router. In anticipation of installing all new hardware in Allison's computer, I ransacked the HTPC (still not set up yet, duh) and took its video card and laptop wireless adapter. After buttoning it back up, I opened up my desktop system, extracted the video card from that, then installed the HTPC components in there.

Allison will get my old video card, but she's getting a similarly "new" motherboard & dual-core processor. She's also getting genuinely new memory for her system (Mother's Day Present #1) as well as the more dependable connection to the internet (Mother's Day Present #2). I currently need to twist my desk a bit to get a decent signal. I need to find the extra antenna I squirreled away somewhere. If that doesn't work, I can always add another Panasonic Powerline Ethernet Kit to my Father's Day wish list.
That's it for now. I can see the bed calling to me.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment