Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Morning Musings

I've been working long hours lately, getting to work some time around 6:00am so I can leave at an early enough hour to enjoy the company of my family. This has somehow been accomplished without the help of an alarm clock. I'm really not sure how I managed to do it, but I like that I can get up early in the morning without disturbing anyone else in the house with blaring noises.

That leads me to this morning. I'm up with nowhere to go, so I figured I would use the opportunity to write a little.

I'd like to lay out some of my thoughts on living with a burgeoning writer. I have always enjoyed writing, but haven't felt much need for an outlet for it until Allison came along. She and her friend Chris, whom I am happy to claim as my own friend too, have helped me realize more of my own enthusiasm for writing than I knew I had. This has led me to find new uses for tools like Remember The Milk. I have a list, which you can find in the kEnny's Tasks section of the sidebar, to show future topics I might write about. I really love that I can simply add something to that list whenever I feel inspired, then pick up that train of thought when I have time later.

I'm learning that living with a writer has its own challenges. Allison needs more time to herself, just like anyone with a "real" job might need to travel to their place of work to actually grind through the particular chores of their occupation. For her to write at home, this comes in the form of some isolation from the frenzy currently defining our children (and probably myself as well). She will find it easier to have a chunk of time during the day to work once the kids are both in school, which she might be looking forward to just a bit. The nice thing is that she has a wide selection of mood music to choose from and a nice place from which to write, with a fairly large workspace and a big window close by. I don't think she would have been able to throw herself into it nearly as much if we (that should really be she, but I did try to help a little) hadn't kept an eye out for her workspace since we moved into the new house.

Her excitement has been rather infectious, and I'm really glad to have been a part of it.

-I should also add at this point that I love the dawning of the new day. I've written the previous words in the last forty minutes, and just noticed that I can see the light starting to fill the sky. One of my favorite morning-time memories is from about ten years ago. The cubicle I occupied at the time, with my current employer, was on the fourth floor on the eastern side of the eastern building of the campus. This put us up above most of the trees for a good distance at the time. The spectacular thing that made the memory special was the way everything above the level of the cubicle walls was lit in golden brilliance as the sun came up. Just sitting in my cube during sunrise, I could see the air shimmering over my head. Really amazing stuff!-

Thanks for letting me share!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment: